Currently, my main research area is engineering and science of the Web, in particular data-based information systems on the Web.
Web Information Systems: The Web Information Systems (WIS) group focuses on research & education in data-based information systems on the Web and making them more effective in retrieving, processing and interpreting data generated by humans and machines. The overall mission of the WIS research group is:
- to develop a deep understanding of the construction and use of web-based information systems,
- to develop novel methods, techniques, and tools that advance the way in which web-based information systems are constructed and used, and
- to offer students education that prepares them for a leading role in web-based information systems science and technology.
Focus: In the Web Information Systems research group, we aim at making web information systems more effective in retrieving, processing and interpreting data generated by humans and machines.
- To understand what human‐ and machine-generated web data represents in terms of people’s actions, interests, intents, and behaviors on the web.
- To develop new solutions to meet the fundamental challenges in how systems effectively attribute and exploit semantics for human‐ and machine-generated data, given the size and dynamic nature of the web.
Approach: Our approach towards our objectives of understanding and developing, combines four main research areas:
- Data Management
- Human Computing & Human-Centered AI
- Information Retrieval
- User Modeling & Explainability
More info: For more information, further details on the research activities by the WIS team are listed at the WIS pages or follow us on Twitter (@wisdelft).
Journals and conferences
Some journals and major conferences I was or am involved in:
Some other roles: former board member of ISWE, International Society for Web Engineering, board member of SIKS, the Dutch national research school for information and knowledge systems, member of the advisory board of User Modeling Inc.
Some interesting events I am/was involved in:
- TheWebConference 2023 - The Web Conference (formerly known as WWW conference), Austin, USA, 30 April - 4 May, 2023.
- TheWebConference 2020 - The Web Conference (formerly known as WWW conference), Taipei, 20-24 April 2020.
- TheWebConference 2019 - The Web Conference (formerly known as WWW conference), San Francisco, USA, 13-17 May, 2019.
- ACM Web Science 2018 - 10th ACM Conference on Web Science, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 27-30 May 2018.
- TU Delft 176th Dies Natalis 2018 - Foundation Day Lecture “Data and Science we can rely on”, TU Delft, 12 January 2018.
- Special Issue on Big Personal Data in Interactive Intelligent Systems - Special Issue on Big Personal Data in Interactive Intelligent Systems in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems.
- ACM HT 2017 - 28th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Prague, Czech Republic, July 4-7, 2017.
- ACM HT 2015 - 26th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Cyprus, September 1-4, 2015.
- ICWE 2015 - 15th International Conference on Web Engineering, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, June 22-26, 2015.
- UMAP 2014 - 22nd Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization, Aalborg, Denmark, July 7-11, 2014.
- ICWE 2014 - 14th International Conference on Web Engineering, Toulouse, France, July 1-4, 2014.
- WebSci 2014 - ACM Web Science 2014 Conference, Bloomington, USA, June 23-26, 2014.
- UMAP 2013 - 21st Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization, Rome, Italy, June 10-14, 2013.
- Web Engineering at WWW2013 - 22nd International World Wide Web Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 13-17 May 2013.
- IJSWIS special issue on Semantic Social Media Dynamics - Special issue on Semantic Social Media Dynamics in International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems.
- WISM 2012 (@ ER 2012) - Ninth International Workshop on Web Information Systems Modeling, at ER, October 2012.
- ComposableWeb 2012 (@ ICWE 2012) - Fourth International Workshop on Lightweight Integration on the Web, at the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE), July 2012.
- AUM 2012 (@ UMAP 2012) - Second International Workshop on Augmented User Modeling, at the international conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP), July 2012.
- CATCH day - Cultural Heritage Getting Social: Trust and Authority in the Crowd, NWO CATCH day at the SEALINCMedia project, May 2012.
- MultiA-Pro (@ WWW 2012) - International Workshop on Interoperability of User Profiles in Multi-Application Web Environments, at World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2012.
- MDWE 2011(@ ICWE 2011) - 7th Model-Driven Web Engineering Workshop, at the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2011) in Paphos, Cyprus, June 2011.
- ComposableWeb 2011 (@ ICWE 2011) - Third International Workshop on Lightweight Composition on the Web, at the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2011) in Paphos, Cyprus, June 2011.
- DAH 2011 (@ ACM Hypertext 2011) - International Workshop on Dynamic and Adaptive Hypertext, at the ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (ACM Hypertext 2011), in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, June 2011.
- AUM 2011 (@ UMAP 2011) - International Workshop on Augmenting User Models with Real-World Experiences to Enhance Personalization and Adaptation, at User Modeling, Adaptatin and Personalization (UMAP 2011), in Girona, Spain, July 2011.
- WISM 2011(@ ER 2011) - Eight International Workshop on Web Information System Modeling, at the International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER 2011), in Brussels, Belgium, November 2011.
- UWeb2011 (@ ESWC 2011) - User Profile Data on the Social Semantic Web
- USEWOD 2011 (@ WWW 2011) - 1st International Workshop on Usage Analysis and the Web of Data
- UDISW2010 (@ IUI 2010) - International Workshop on User Data Interoperability in the Social Web
- WISM 2010 (@ ER 2010) - Seventh International Workshop on Web Information Systems Modeling
- ComposableWeb 2010 (@ ICWE 2010) - Second International Workshop on Lightweight Composition on the Web
- MDWE 2010 (@ ICWE 2010) - 6th Model-Driven Web Engineering Workshop
- LUPAS 2010(@ ESWC 2010) - International Workshop on Linking of User Profiles and Applications in the Social Semantic Web
- WABBWUAS 2010 (@ UMAP 2010) - Workshop on Architectures and Building Blocks of Web-Based User-Adaptive Systems